Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate timeouts

2003-09-10 07:33:32
Subject: Re: Estimate timeouts
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:31:42 -0400
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:55:27AM -0400, Jack Baty enlightened us:
> It feels like I'm *this* close to having this critter working.
>
> The DLEs on the amanda server are being backed up just lovely. I can't,
> however, seem to back up a remote client(only tried one so far). After
> 15 minutes or so, I get the report mailed to me with
>
> ".../usr lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from..."
>
> I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. amcheck runs fine, ports
> 10080,10081,10082 and 10083 are open through the firewall. Inetd seems
> to be firing off the amandad process on the client. I don't see anything
> in any of the myriad log files (that I've found).
>
> Could someone point me to a few things I might check?
>
> Server is Debian-woody
> Client is FreeBSD 4.8 installed from port but reconfigured
> --with-user=amanda

Read PORT.USAGE in the docs directory. You'll need to compile with
--withtcpports and --withudpports and let them through the firewall as well.
There are a couple of simple calculations in PORT.USAGE that will help you
figure out how many of each you need to let through. I let my tcp ports
overlap with the ports I have open for passive FTP in the 50000 range
somewhere, and have 10 udp ports in the 800's. amcheck only uses the 1008?
ports, and doesn't actually send any data back and forth on the other ports,
so it will succeed while the actual backup will fail.

Hope that helps,
Matt

--
Matt Hyclak