Amanda-Users

Removing tapes from the loop and more:

2003-09-10 06:57:58
Subject: Removing tapes from the loop and more:
From: Mike Grice <mgrice AT plus.net DOT uk>
To: Amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 10 Sep 2003 11:55:58 +0100
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into using Amanda to perform backups on a number of
production servers (user data and configuration files).  I've been
perusing the documentation and I'm scratching my head!

What I need to do is the following:

- one tape changed daily with full dumps by hand
- the last tape in the week is to be duplicated.  One copy stored in one
location and the other stored in another.

This leaves 6 tapes left, so obviously I'd need to add another...

I'm having trouble getting my head around how to do this with Amanda...

Can anyone either suggest a magic easy solution for doing this, and/or
(preferably) pointing me to some good, comprehensive documentation? (I
like books).

I've ordered ORA UNIX Backup and Recovery (as at the moment I've been
using the chapter that is online and linked from the main Amanda site).

Would you suggest that Amanda is the right solution?  Given it's close
management of tapes I'm not sure if it is, but I like how it works.

Also, how would you suggest I submit data I've obtained from amtapetype
(I've done a 100G uncompressed HP Ultrium 1 tape on a TransTec 7600 tape
drive).

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike