Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps Levels > 1?

2003-09-02 11:26:22
Subject: Re: Dumps Levels > 1?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "Amanda List (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:24:51 -0400
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 08:09:20AM -0700, Dege, Robert C. wrote:

> My config:
> Redhat 9.0
> Amanda version 2.4.4p1
>
> I'm slightly concerned with my backups.  I'm backingup a central NFS server
> for my UNIX network.  Using disklist, I broke the NFS share into 21 separate
> sections.  I did this so that I could benefit from higher dump levels on
> sections that are used less.
>
> I've been running amanda for the past 2 weeks, but only have dump levels of
> zero, or one.  I ran 2 backups over labor day weekend, and _STILL_ am unable
> to achieve a dump level higher than 1.  And the amreports show no dump level
> bump adjustments.
>
> I guess my question is "why isn't amanda using higher dump levels on
> sections where the data hasn't changed?"

When it calculates the size of the next dump level it doesn't feel it
saves a sufficient amount of tape/size/time/??? to warrent bumping the
level.

I've never played with them, but there are a couple of parameters that
affect what is "sufficient".

My systems seldom do level 2's either.  Of course that makes recovery simpler.
Two tapes rather than three.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)