Amanda-Users

Problems after trial runs.

2003-09-01 17:40:27
Subject: Problems after trial runs.
From: Stefan Keel <sakeel AT u.washington DOT edu>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:41:22 -0700
Hey everyone,

I'm having a little difficulty with my setup after my first attempts, and
wondered if anyone might have some advice for me.  Here are a some of the
things that I'm encountering...

A general overview:

I have four disks to backup, all SMB shares on an NAS...

They are, with their approximate sizes...
//mrima1/HistologyCon  4.5GB
//mrima1/MRI  37GB
//mrima1/users  35GB
//mrima1/VIL_Library  7GB

The tapes I'm backing up to are 40GB.

I have to go the poor man's approach, and have configured amanda to use the
chg-manual script.

>From my understanding, I have to run amdump manually if I'm using the
chg-manual script.  Does anyone know why this is the case?  If I use the
chg-manual script, then can I still setup amanda to do a weekly full backup,
and nightly incremental?

Next problem is the chg-manual script itself.  When it asks for the next tape,
it doesn't accept the next tape.  For example...

I have nine tapes that I'm using for my backup...

DailySet1-001 through DailySet-009.  The backup starts running on the first
tape (DailySet1-001), and when it's full, chg-manual sends me an email and
asks me for the next tape.  When I insert the next tape (DailySet1-002) into
the drive, it reads for a minute, then spits it back out and sends me another
email asking me for the next tape.  It continues to do this repeatedly, each
time increasing the slot number.

I'm using the chg-manual script with 2.4.4p1.  The only changes I've made to
it are the quotes around the grep command on line 33, and then I uncommented
the second request() function to send email asking for the next tape.  I've
also changed the lastslot=9 on line 70 since I only have 9 tapes to work
with.

What have I missed?  Do I need to declare what tapes are in what slot
somewhere?  For example...

slot 1 DailySet1-001
slot 2 DailySet1-002
...etc...

Lastly, the dump sequence doesn't appear to be working in the order defined in
my amanda.conf file.  Where I have...

dumporder "sssS"

...I would assume that the dump woud do the disks in this order, based on size
from smallest to largest...

//mrima1/HistologyCon
//mrima1/VIL_Library
//mrima1/users
//mrima1/MRI

...but according to what I'm getting in the report from amanda, it appears to
be doing them in alphabetical order.  It first dumps...//mrima1/HistologyCon,
and then tries //mrima1/MRI, which is most certainly not in the order defined
in amanda.conf.  Inevitably, it doesn't fit on the tape, and so it wants to
start over on the next tape.

The following is a copy of the latest email report that amanda sent from my
most recent attempt.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks,
Stefan.

----- Begin AMANDA MAIL REPORT -----

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-003.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[label DailySet1-004 or new tape not found in
rack]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next 4 tapes Amanda expects to used are: DailySet1-004, DailySet1-005,
DailySet1-006, DailySet1-007.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  vilbu      //mrima1/MRI lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  vilbu      //mrima1/MRI lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by
peer"]
  vilbu      //mrima1/VIL_Library lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental
dump]
  vilbu      //mrima1/users lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
  vilbu      //mrima1/MRI lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

STATISTICS:
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:14
Run Time (hrs:min)         6:14
Dump Time (hrs:min)        1:00       1:00       0:00
Output Size (meg)        3823.0     3823.0        0.0
Original Size (meg)      4418.8     4418.8        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)    86.5       86.5        --
Filesystems Dumped            1          1          0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1083.7     1083.7        --

Tape Time (hrs:min)        1:00       1:00       0:00
Tape Size (meg)          3823.0     3823.0        0.0
Tape Used (%)              19.6       19.6        0.0
Filesystems Taped             1          1          0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)  1083.7     1083.7        --

USAGE BY TAPE:
  Label               Time      Size      %    Nb
  DailySet1-003       1:00    3823.0   19.6     1

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- vilbu      //mrima1/MRI lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by
peer"]
sendbackup: start [vilbu://mrima1/MRI level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
sendbackup: info end
\--------

NOTES:
  planner: Adding new disk vilbu://mrima1/users.
  planner: Adding new disk vilbu://mrima1/VIL_Library.
  driver: WARNING: could not create /mnt/dump/20030829: Permission denied
  planner: Full dump of vilbu://mrima1/HistologyCon promoted from 5 days
ahead.
  planner: Full dump of vilbu://mrima1/MRI promoted from 6 days ahead.
  taper: tape DailySet1-003 kb 19819264 fm 2 writing file: No space left on
device

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
vilbu        -stologyCon 0 45248893914752  86.5  60:121083.7  60:121083.7

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p1)