Amanda-Users

Amanda and firewalls

2003-08-21 09:56:43
Subject: Amanda and firewalls
From: Shashi Kanbur <shashi AT fcrao1.astro.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:18:55 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, my amanda server was initially put on a private network. The gateway
machine for this private network is just running IP masquerading with
IPtables. So all connections initated from the inside are ok, but nothing
is allowed to come in from the outside.
The Amanda clients are Debian Linux machines on routable IPs. I found that
this situation works fine for most of the AMANDA clients provided in
.amandahosts, I put the name of the gateway machine. However, for some
Debian machines this doesnt work. The symptom is that the planner
timesout. Increasing etimeout in amanda.conf doesnt not fix the problem.
If I put the amanda server on the internet everything is ok. So why does
putting the AMANDA server behind an IP masquerading firewall work for some
Debian Linux clients and not for others? These clients are pretty
identical.

Shashi Kanbur                                  shashi AT fcrao1.astro.umass DOT
edu
Five College Astronomy Department,
University of Massachusetts,
Amherst,
MA 01003
USA
(413) 577 0470                                 (413) 545 4223 (Fax)