Amanda-Users

Re: How-To Exclude files from a ufsdump backup

2003-08-08 11:12:27
Subject: Re: How-To Exclude files from a ufsdump backup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "'Amanda-Users (E-mail)'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:09:24 -0400
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:06:43PM +0100, Pablo Jejcic wrote:
> Dear List,
>               I have Amanda working without problems on our network, and
> backing up many directories using ufsdump (on solaris 9).
>               Now, we have a new project which will need a lot of static
> information, and I don't want to backup it everyday, but they still need a
> full fs for theirselfs. Therefore, how can I exclude some files/directories
> from a ufsdump backup?

You should have deleted the "In-Reply-To: " header so your message would
look like a new topic rather than a continuation of the one you copied.

If I understand your requirements correctly, you don't want to waste
tape space, and maybe time, dealing with certain file systems daily,
just once per dumpcycle.  This is in contrast to the more common request
of how to exclude a specific directory within a file system.  (The latter
can't be done with ufsdump, only with gnutar).

Two approaches, one is don't do anything.  I have several static DLE's
(disk list entries) and for their incremental dumps all that is written
to tape is 32KB.  Not a lot of tape wasted.  But it still takes time
and cpu to determine there is nothing to backup.

The second is to define a new dumptype to use with those DLE's.  It can
include your current dumptype plus the single line "skip-incr".  Then
between level-0 dumps on those DLE's you will get an amreport like this:

   hostname DLE   1 SKIPPED --------------------

HTH
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)