Amanda-Users

Re: Database Backup

2003-07-29 15:43:09
Subject: Re: Database Backup
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:42:39 +0200
Hi,
for dumping postgres-databases to flat files postgres has two utilities:
pg_dump for a single database and pg_dumpall for all databases on a single server. these commands produce a flat text file containing sql-querrys to recreate the complete database(s).

Doing the dump of the life DBMS isn't a good idea. You don't catch all the changes and informations that postgres keeps in it's internal buffer's at runtime.

Christoph

Brian Cuttler wrote:
Axel,

I'm so sorry, this is pretty much a database question and as such
out of my area of expertise.

There is no way to shutdown the application for the duration ?
That is what I've forced my Oracle dba to do.

-- Start of PGP signed section.

Hi Brian,
I have amanda running on two fileservers already. The box in question
now is RedHat Linux 9.0 running a Postgresqul database. The Tapedrive is
a DDS4 manual. I am asking this question because I know of no way to export the
database into a flat file before backup, or mirroring or freezing the
database during backup.
I was wondering if somebody did that before.
cheers
Axel