Amanda-Users

Backup to disk on another machine

2003-07-29 13:54:03
Subject: Backup to disk on another machine
From: "Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes AT tamu DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:38:06 -0500
I understand that to use Amanda to backup to a disk, I need to set the
tapedev entry in amanda.conf to a value like
    tapedev  "file:/some/directory/somewhere"

My question is: how do I do this if the disk is on another computer?

Assume for example, if I have a computer named "earth" with a 100gb data
disk that holds the /home directory (that's the only directory on that
filesystem), and another computer named "moon" that has 300gb of
diskspace to use as backup space (both computers are running RH Linux w/
Samba installed).

Does "earth" nfs mount the large disk on "moon" and simply write to it?
I assume that this will run on earth as root so that it can have
permissions to get to all the files, right?

--

Chris Barnes                                       AOL IM: CNBarnes