Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to disk on another machine

2003-07-29 14:44:48
Subject: Re: Backup to disk on another machine
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:42:05 -0400
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:38:06PM -0500, Chris Barnes wrote:
> Assume for example, if I have a computer named "earth" with a 100gb data
> disk that holds the /home directory (that's the only directory on that
> filesystem), and another computer named "moon" that has 300gb of
> diskspace to use as backup space (both computers are running RH Linux w/
> Samba installed).
>
> Does "earth" nfs mount the large disk on "moon" and simply write to it?

If you do that with vanilla NFS, I suspect the backup will crawl!

I'd simply make "moon" the Amanda server, and "earth" a client.
That way, the
      tapedev  "file:/some/directory/somewhere"
will be referring to a local file, and your question will no
longer apply.

> I assume that this will run on earth as root so that it can have
> permissions to get to all the files, right?

The Amanda *client* will, yes.  But it's the server that cares
about tapedev.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot