Amanda-Users

newbie question

2003-07-29 13:40:55
Subject: newbie question
From: "Dalton, John L MONMOUTH ITS Multimax" <john.l.dalton AT us.army DOT mil>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:35:50 -0400
Just got amanda configured on a raidzone
but I don't think the changer file is correct
as it will not load tapes from the 29 storage
elements.

Do I have to label every tape before it will
move them form storage?

I am using linux REDHAT 7.1 on a raidzone.

The tape jukebox I am using is a Adaptec   29 tape
carousel with two DLT Quantum Tape drives.

Here is the output:

bash-2.04$    amtape / current
amtape: scanning current slot in tape-changer rack
slot 0: date 20030729 label DailySet-02

bash-2.04$ amtape / device    <--------------how do I show the next tape
drive nst1?
/dev/nst0

bash-2.04$ amcheck /
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/amanda/tmp: 1182210776 KB disk space available,
 that's plenty
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20030729 label DailySet-02 (active tape)
amcheck-server: fatal slot 1: slot 1 move failed   <--------------------why
will it not move the tape?
ERROR: new tape not found in rack
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run
NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/localhost: does not exist
Server check took 46.527 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.006 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

amlabel output  - I only have two drives 0 and 2!!!

bash-2.04$ amlabel / DailySet-02 slot 3
amlabel: label DailySet-02 already on a tape

bash-2.04$ amlabel / DailySet-02 slot 4
amlabel: label DailySet-02 already on a tape

bash-2.04$ amlabel / DailySet-02 slot  30
amlabel: label DailySet-02 already on a tape

bash-2.04$ amlabel / DailySet-02 slot  99
amlabel: label DailySet-02 already on a tape

I am using a generic TAPE DEVICE in amanda.conf:

define tapetype Quantum-DLT {
    comment "Generic values"
    length 40000 mbytes
    filemark 8 kbytes
    speed 4000 kbytes

runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single r
tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
changerfile "/etc/amanda/chg-scsi-linux.conf"

bash-2.04$ cat chg-scsi-linux.conf
number_configs  1
eject           1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           90      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/sg2
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0  #/dev/nst0
scsitapedev     /dev/sg2
startuse        1       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          29              #
statfile        /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-slot  # The file where the
actual
slot is stored
#cleancart      5       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0
is
located
cleanfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-clean # The file where the
cleanin
gs are recorded
usagecount      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/totaltime
tapestatus      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapestatus # here will some status
infos
 be stored
#labelfile      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/labelfile # Use this if you have an
barc
ode reader

Does anyone use the 29 tape Adeptec jukebox? Perhaps find the
correct changer.conf file I'll be ok??

Thanks!