Amanda-Users

Re: selfcheck timeout after a week of troubleshooting, on just one client out of many

2003-07-28 20:48:35
Subject: Re: selfcheck timeout after a week of troubleshooting, on just one client out of many
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:46:06 -0400
On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 04:58:29PM -0500, Martin, Jeremy wrote:
> My amanda server is having problems connecting to a client. It's working
> great with a number of other clients, but this one client keeps trying to
> frustrate me.
> [awesomely complete situation report deleted]
>
> Any ideas of other things to try? Thanks!

You've already tried all the usual things that bite me.  Ok, here
are some unusual ones :-)

Can you increase xinetd's verbosity, so that it logs all
connection attempts?

Your mention of /etc/hosts.allow suggests that tcpwrappers is in
the mix.  I've never used it, but one of its man pages (tcpd(8))
says it logs all requests.  What do those logs say?

How about tcpdump?

Better yet, check out Ethereal (www.ethereal.com).  GUI, GPL, can
follow and reassemble TCP streams ...  and it reads tcpdump's
raw-capture files ("tcpdump -w file"), so you can use it even if
you don't want to install it on the boxes in question, and
network topology keeps you from sniffing the packets from the
machine where Ethereal does reside.

Try strace'ing xinetd (if you use "-p pid", you won't have to
kill and restart xinetd).  See if it tries to fork off an amandad
process (you'll need to run it with -f to see the child process's
exec() system call).  If not, see whether it was able to read the
UDP packet.  Those two answers will tell you where to look more
deeply -- at the TCP/IP side of things, xinetd itself, or
amandad.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot