Amanda-Users

Re: amdump hangs forever when dump should be starting

2003-07-28 04:08:35
Subject: Re: amdump hangs forever when dump should be starting
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:06:43 +0200
Scott Mcdermott wrote:

When I run the dump though, it calculates what it needs to
do, gets to the "driver: hdisk-state time xxx" line, and

Do you mean that the line is truncated after the time?
It should look like:

driver: hdisk-state time 996.043 hdisk 0: free 22386164 dumpers 16

i.e. it should continue with a state of each holdingdisk.
Is there a newline or not? (a newline, means: no holdingdisks)
(Yes, it seems you don't use a holdingdisk, then this is normal.)

Just after it, there should be messages about the portusage
of each client which connects to dumper.

     $ ps -eo user,comm,pid,wchan | grep ^amanda
     amanda   amdump            9302 wait4
     amanda   driver            9315 do_select
     amanda   taper             9316 unix_stream_data_wait
     amanda   dumper            9317 unix_stream_data_wait
     amanda   dumper            9318 unix_stream_data_wait
     amanda   dumper            9319 unix_stream_data_wait
     amanda   taper             9320 pipe_wait

I would expect at least a "amandad" or one of its children
be there to (if indeed the client is the same as the server).
Is there a local firewall installed/activated?

amanda is just stuck, doesn't timeout, doesn't do anything,
just sits there.

Or times out after a very long time?

     $ cat normal/amanda.conf | grep -v ^\#

    runspercycle            0

Strange, but probably no error.  Change into some
real value to be very sure this is not the cause.

    define dumptype tardump {
            comment         "uses GNU tar"
            compress        none
            holdingdisk     no
            ignore          no
            index           yes
            program         "GNUTAR"
            record          no
            starttime       0001
    }

I never tried the "starttime" option.  Could this be the problem?

    driver: hdisk-state time 100.388

Just after it, there should be messages about the tcp connections
(the estimate were done in udp datagrams).  Maybe some problem here?