Amanda-Users

amrecover problem: need help/advice

2003-07-19 10:51:10
Subject: amrecover problem: need help/advice
From: "Freels, James D." <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:46:59 -0400
Hello I have used amanda for a long time and have used the amrecover command to recover files/directories in the past without problems.  Recently, I accidently deleted a large chunk of my home directory (you don't really want to know how this happened do you--long story).  Normally, if something like this happens I do not panic because I know that I can recover most, if not all, of the files deleted.

The AMANDA log files all indicate backups have been written normally.  Indeed, I can verify that myt home directory and each individual file thereof is listed in the index files on the backup server.  However, unlike in the past, when I issue the normal

amrecover /dev/tape_norewind machine  disk-device

I get a scsi-related error message after if finds the file on the tape.  It searches through the tape, finds the file, and only dumps part of the file.  For example, if the file should be 4GB, it is only dumping about 500 Mb.  It is as if a buffer is overflowing or something like that.

I get no similar messages when creating the tape, only when trying to read off the tape.

Any help appreciated.  I am at a loss unless I have had a buggy tape drive for some time and not realized it.

P.S.  I have also taken the tape to a second compatible drive on an entirely different machine.  This drive also could not read the tape.  Not looking good...

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov