Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover problem: need help/advice

2003-07-19 13:06:18
Subject: Re: amrecover problem: need help/advice
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:02:24 -0400
On Saturday 19 July 2003 10:46, Freels, James D. wrote:
>Hello I have used amanda for a long time and have used the amrecover
>command to recover files/directories in the past without problems.
>Recently, I accidently deleted a large chunk of my home directory
> (you don't really want to know how this happened do you--long
> story). Normally, if something like this happens I do not panic
> because I know that I can recover most, if not all, of the files
> deleted.
>
>The AMANDA log files all indicate backups have been written
> normally. Indeed, I can verify that myt home directory and each
> individual file thereof is listed in the index files on the backup
> server.  However, unlike in the past, when I issue the normal
>
>amrecover /dev/tape_norewind machine  disk-device
>
>I get a scsi-related error message after if finds the file on the
> tape. It searches through the tape, finds the file, and only dumps
> part of the file.  For example, if the file should be 4GB, it is
> only dumping about 500 Mb.  It is as if a buffer is overflowing or
> something like that.
>
>I get no similar messages when creating the tape, only when trying
> to read off the tape.
>
>Any help appreciated.  I am at a loss unless I have had a buggy tape
>drive for some time and not realized it.
>
>P.S.  I have also taken the tape to a second compatible drive on an
>entirely different machine.  This drive also could not read the
> tape. Not looking good...

That doesn't sound as if its the drive to me since 2 drives cannot
read this tape, its more than likely a bad tape.  I don't think thats
what you wanted to hear though...

Can you 'mt -f /device fsf nn' where nn is the number of the next file
on the tape?

This is one of the reasons one should have a tapecycle that is at
*least* 2*runspercycle*runtapes.  It would be somewhat dated, but
better than nothing, to back up one dumpcycles worth of tapes in the
sequence and recover that.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: