Amanda-Users

Re: Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System

2003-07-18 12:36:07
Subject: Re: Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:17:29 -0400 (EDT)
I just use a stock kernel (Debian Linux) with my amanda servers. I
seem not to have had trouble with doing this. The biggest
bottlenecks for me lie on the client side. That is, I end up waiting
a long time for clients to compress data and send it to the amanda
server. So I doubt optimization on the server side would make any
difference for me. For me, the advantages of stock kernels are that
I can easily upgrade, and most "extras" on the kernel are modules,
so they're easily accessible if I ever need them.

As for a stripped down system, again Debian comes through for me.
The basic Debian install is about 40 MB and includes all the basic
tools I need. Add amanda server and client packages plus
dependencies and a few extra tools I use like ssh, and I'm up to 50
or 60 MB. At that point, I don't believe much else could be stripped
out without hurting something.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator