Amanda-Users

Re: Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System

2003-07-18 04:09:56
Subject: Re: Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users @ amanda . org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:56:45 +0100
Stefan

I run it on FreeBSD and I just remove the drivers I don't need from the kernel and tweek a couple of things. However having played a little with 5.1 (and not with amanda mind you) it's blindingly fast even compared to 4.8 so next time I build an amanda host I might try a stock 5.x version and lock down as usual (remove uneeded inetd entries, daemons etc etc).

I guess alot of the optimisation is down to parrelletisation params, where you do the compression (server of client) size, how big the cpu is etc..

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Hi, Amanda-Users,

IŽm thinking about building a system dedicated to just run Amanda at
its best.

I want to strip down a linux-system to the basics needed for backup.
Just the necessary hard- and software, rock-solid and fast.

As the brand new kernel compiles in another window on my desktop I
think about compiling a kernel that just supports the basic backup
hardware and leaves stuff like sound or isdn away.

What do you think?

Does it make sense to spend time and thoughts on stripping the system
down?

I know from years of using Amanda that the bottlenecks lie elsewhere
but I would like to build a very minimal system which I could offer to
my clients as a kind of "Amanda-Box" doing just what it should.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this topic, maybe some of you
have already done stuff like specific kernel-compilations to satisfy
AmandaŽs needs.

IŽm looking forward to your answers.

Best regards,

Stefan.