Amanda-Users

Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System

2003-07-17 18:50:49
Subject: Suggestions for a dedicated Amanda-System
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: "'amanda-users @ amanda . org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:47:17 +0200
Hi, Amanda-Users,

IŽm thinking about building a system dedicated to just run Amanda at
its best.

I want to strip down a linux-system to the basics needed for backup.
Just the necessary hard- and software, rock-solid and fast.

As the brand new kernel compiles in another window on my desktop I
think about compiling a kernel that just supports the basic backup
hardware and leaves stuff like sound or isdn away.

What do you think?

Does it make sense to spend time and thoughts on stripping the system
down?

I know from years of using Amanda that the bottlenecks lie elsewhere
but I would like to build a very minimal system which I could offer to
my clients as a kind of "Amanda-Box" doing just what it should.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this topic, maybe some of you
have already done stuff like specific kernel-compilations to satisfy
AmandaŽs needs.

IŽm looking forward to your answers.

Best regards,

Stefan.