Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris9 : netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled

2003-07-11 14:13:32
Subject: Re: Solaris9 : netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:01:17 -0400
On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:57:55PM -0400, Bryan Hodgson wrote:
> checking netinet/ip.h usability... no
> checking netinet/ip.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: check for missing prerequisite
> headers?
> configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
> result
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf AT gnu DOT org. ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
> checking for netinet/ip.h... yes

You should be OK.  I haven't tried 2.4.4p1 yet, but with 2.4.4 on
Solaris 7 and 8 (clients only; the server's a FreeBSD box), I got
an earlier wording of this message for netinet/ip.h, and Amanda's
working ok.

This relates to both Amanda and Autoconf (the latter being the
tool that the Amanda developers use to generate the "configure"
script).  The developers of Autoconf are switching from a
somewhat error-prone way of detecting .h files to a better way.
During the transition, to give their users (in this case, the
Amanda developers) a chance to adapt, they do it both ways, and
spit out this warning if the two disagree.  I guess they also
want to find out themselves about such disagreements; hence the
request to report the situation to their bugs address.

For more explanation, see this fragment of a thread from the
Autoconf mailing-list archives.  The first of these links points
to the question, the second to the reply; the rest of the thread
can be safely ignored :-)
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2003-03/msg00154.html
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2003-03/msg00156.html

The second of these messages also suggests an approach that the
Amanda folks could use to suppress this scary-sounding warning,
which is why I've CCed this to the amanda-hackers list...

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot