Amanda-Users

lurk mode off...amanda time-frame question

2003-07-11 11:47:52
Subject: lurk mode off...amanda time-frame question
From: "mitchbnj_removethis AT excite DOT com" <faslink AT excite DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
Q on amt of time to implement amanda?!

After chatting with my manager, I have to ask the list a bunch of
painfully obvious questions:

1) How long should it take someone to get amanda up and running. (5
minutes, 5 days, 5 weeks?)
2) How much of what is required by amanda, compared to buying a
commercial product? i.e., is much of the configuration work that I've
done in Amanada "magically" done by commercial programs?
3) have any of you (I hope, please help me...) configured any
competing commercial products, and is it simpler?/Faster?
4) Is it just me who needs my head examined?
5) does it sound to you (too) that I need to find another job?

My boss (after thinking this has been painless *) has complained that
I told her it would take a week to get the system up and running with
backups.
Of course the guy who was doing backups before (he gave them to me to
do last week) was taking 4 hrs every friday afternoon to copy files
to his pc and cut 4 CDROMS. but he had PHYSICAL media, which she
likes. **

So I gave the following schedule to my boss, which she grudgingly
accepted:
Monday:, perform direct hardware backups to tape, restore, test
copied ok both ways.
Tuesday: install, compile software, get installed software correctly
running on server,
test backup of server
Wednesday:, install client software (on another server), test backup
from server.
Thursday:     adjust # tapes, scheduling information. Add more
clients
Friday      :installing SAMBA on server, setting up drive share
so that it's accessible to tape system for backups.

SO: (I thought I padded this schedule enough to get me done and
completed with plenty of time, but NO...
Another question: was this NOT a adaquate time estimate?

so first thing: On monday, tests went fine, started to install a few
of the following packages:
package ` version
gnuawk 3.10
gccCompiler 3.3
gnuplot 3.71
make 3.80
mtx 1.2.17
ncurses 5.3.
perl 5.8.0
popt 1.7
readline 4.3
samba 2.2.8a
tar 1.13
and of course
amanda 2.4.4p1

**Mistake** I took Tuesday off, but wasn't reflected in schedule.
time to shoot myself.

Wed Morning, finish installing other packages, installed amanda.
HA. (See other message about 2.4.4.P1 AND the version.info function.)

Thursday, got programmer to help me compile amanda 2.4.4.p1 ok
finally.

started to edit all amanda config files.

Friday: started amtapetype, did amcheck., fixing problems.
still no "formal" backup yet.

*Painless (HA!: remember? (LVD vs HVD scsi (6 days to
resolve/discover already had hardware), and other personal faux
pases? I do.

** and after getting the task, I took about 6 hrs, automated it to
run daily, and SSH/SCP'd the files to a unused machine. Thereby
getting DAILY backups.. BUT ... she doesnt see media, so doesnt like
that

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com