Amanda-Users

Re: lurk mode off...amanda time-frame question

2003-07-11 21:57:45
Subject: Re: lurk mode off...amanda time-frame question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: faslink AT excite DOT com, "mitchbnj_removethis AT excite DOT com" <faslink AT excite DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:54:23 -0400
On Friday 11 July 2003 11:42, mitchbnj_removethis AT excite DOT com wrote:
>Q on amt of time to implement amanda?!
>
>After chatting with my manager, I have to ask the list a bunch of
>painfully obvious questions:
>
>1) How long should it take someone to get amanda up and running. (5
>minutes, 5 days, 5 weeks?)
>2) How much of what is required by amanda, compared to buying a
>commercial product? i.e., is much of the configuration work that
> I've done in Amanada "magically" done by commercial programs?
>3) have any of you (I hope, please help me...) configured any
>competing commercial products, and is it simpler?/Faster?
>4) Is it just me who needs my head examined?
>5) does it sound to you (too) that I need to find another job?
>
>My boss (after thinking this has been painless *) has complained
> that I told her it would take a week to get the system up and
> running with backups.
>Of course the guy who was doing backups before (he gave them to me
> to do last week) was taking 4 hrs every friday afternoon to copy
> files to his pc and cut 4 CDROMS. but he had PHYSICAL media, which
> she likes. **
>
>So I gave the following schedule to my boss, which she grudgingly
>accepted:
>Monday:, perform direct hardware backups to tape, restore, test
>copied ok both ways.
>Tuesday: install, compile software, get installed software correctly
>running on server,
>test backup of server
>Wednesday:, install client software (on another server), test backup
>from server.
>Thursday:     adjust # tapes, scheduling information. Add more
>clients
>Friday      :installing SAMBA on server, setting up drive share
>so that it's accessible to tape system for backups.
>
>SO: (I thought I padded this schedule enough to get me done and
>completed with plenty of time, but NO...
>Another question: was this NOT a adaquate time estimate?
>

>so first thing: On monday, tests went fine, started to install a few
>of the following packages:
>package ` version
>gnuawk 3.10
>gccCompiler 3.3
>gnuplot 3.71
>make 3.80
>mtx 1.2.17
>ncurses 5.3.
>perl 5.8.0
>popt 1.7
>readline 4.3
>samba 2.2.8a
>tar 1.13

WRONG tar!  Its s/b no less than 1.13-19, and preferably 1.13-25, get
it via ftp from alpha.gnu.org.

>and of course
>amanda 2.4.4p1
>
>**Mistake** I took Tuesday off, but wasn't reflected in schedule.
>time to shoot myself.
>
>Wed Morning, finish installing other packages, installed amanda.
>HA. (See other message about 2.4.4.P1 AND the version.info
> function.)
>
>Thursday, got programmer to help me compile amanda 2.4.4.p1 ok
>finally.
>
>started to edit all amanda config files.
>
>Friday: started amtapetype, did amcheck., fixing problems.
>still no "formal" backup yet.
>

>*Painless (HA!: remember? (LVD vs HVD scsi (6 days to
>resolve/discover already had hardware), and other personal faux
>pases? I do.

Did you sacrifice a pure white, virgin goat?  Scsi stuff often needs
an offering to whichever diety controls such things as terminations
and term power.

>** and after getting the task, I took about 6 hrs, automated it to
>run daily, and SSH/SCP'd the files to a unused machine. Thereby
>getting DAILY backups.. BUT ... she doesnt see media, so doesnt like
>that

The tape is not media?  The last I heard, thats what they call it on
ebay when you go looking to replenish your stock.>

Seriously, for a newbee to amanda, a week (5 days) could be a little
short if you don't come here early and get some help, asking what you
might think are dumb questions.  But, IMO, the only dumb question is
the one not asked.  Thats the one that eats your lunch.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: