Amanda-Users

Re: amanda.conf noinc option

2003-07-09 07:41:41
Subject: Re: amanda.conf noinc option
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:37:24 -0400
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:24:23AM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
> >
> >I'm just configuring Amanda to work with our tape libraries.  For some
> >specific volumes I want to always do a full dump.  According to the
> >manual page, the "strategy noinc" should do it.  However, in the example
> >amanda.conf, it specifically says that "Unfortunately, this is not
> >currently implemented.  Use `dumpcycle 0' instead."
> >
> >Is this option available?  I'd like to use it instead of the dumpcycle 0
> >option.
>
> Any reason why?  "dumpcycle 0" can be an option on a specific dumptype,
> just like "strategy noinc" would have been.  It overrides the global
> dumpcycle for that particular dumptype.
> Probably nobody implemented "strategy noinc" because of this.

One use for "strategy noinc" would be for a static, large DLE.
No need for incrementals, never or almost never changes, and
just the dumps at a specific interval are needed, not dumpcycle 0.
But for this the "skip-incr" directive seems appropriate.

It seems a little confusing that a few backup "schemes" are
separated out as their own directives (skip-incr, skip-full)
while others are implemented as arguments to the strategy directive.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)