Amanda-Users

Re: amanda.conf noinc option

2003-07-09 12:45:51
Subject: Re: amanda.conf noinc option
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:44:34 -0400
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:24:23AM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
> > Is [the "strategy noinc"] option available?  I'd like to use it instead of
> > the dumpcycle 0
> > option.
>
> Any reason why?  "dumpcycle 0" can be an option on a specific dumptype,
> just like "strategy noinc" would have been.

I discovered recently that the two aren't identical.  If you
don't have enough space[*], Amanda will do its usual thing, and
degrade even "dumpcycle 0" dumps to level-1's as needed.

On the other hand, if "strategy noinc" means what it says, I
wouldn't expect that to happen.  I'm not sure what I *would*
expect; probably something like:
  - degrade *other*, non-"noinc" dumps as needed
  - if that still isn't enough, complain loudly
(If noinc is indeed implemented, that is; if not, this is all
pretty academic.)

[*] Holding disk space, in my case, but I presume the same would
    be true of tape capacity as well

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot