Amanda-Users

Another user trying amanda and xinetd

2003-07-08 18:15:45
Subject: Another user trying amanda and xinetd
From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:10:48 -0500
To begin, this is a lengthy mail and I apologize for it, but I want to make
sure I am not leaving a bunch of questions unanswered.

I have a Red Hat 7.3 Server, mplslx2.buffalowildwings.com, which I am using
to have my clients backup to disk on.  I have one client that is dumping
fine, older RedHat 6.2 machine running inetd. The Red Hat 7.3 client
machine, udt.buffalowildwings.com, is running amanda from xinetd and I am
getting selfcheck request timed out for that host when I run amcheck.  The
issue does appear to be with the xinetd setup as I have good connectivity
and name resolution between the client and the server, I can ping the client
from the server and vice-versa via IP and FQDN, but testing the amanda
connection with netcat gives me nothing.

[amanda@mplslx2 amanda-2.4.4]$ nc -u udt.buffalowildwings.com 10080
Amanda
[amanda@mplslx2 amanda-2.4.4]$

The server and client were built from the 2.4.4 source according to
docs/INSTALL and the howto posted to the list by Gene Heskett, and kindly
copied to me again. The install was built as amanda, member of disk, and
installed by root. My xinetd.d/amanda file on the client is as such:
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}

Just stopped and started xinetd to be sure, so the config has been read. The
binaries are in place and appear to have proper permissions.
[root@udt xinetd.d]# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amandad
-rwxr-xr-x    1 amanda   disk        71035 Jul  8 14:50
/usr/local/libexec/amandad
[root@udt xinetd.d]# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
-rwxr-xr-x    1 amanda   disk        73027 Jul  8 14:50
/usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
[root@udt xinetd.d]# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amtrmidx
-rwxr-xr-x    1 amanda   disk        66546 Jul  8 14:50
/usr/local/libexec/amtrmidx

These lines are in /etc/services on the client:
amanda          10080/tcp                       # amanda backup services
amanda          10080/udp                       # amanda backup services
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

There are no iptables rules in place on the client or server, hosts.allow is
as such on the client, with an ALL:ALL in hosts.deny:
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#

ALL: 127.0.0.1

ALL: 10.0.0.

Both client and server are in the 10.0.0. subnet.

The amcheck.DATESTAMP.debug file on the server shows this:

amcheck: debug 1 pid 26491 ruid 33 euid 0: start at Tue Jul  8 16:19:48 2003
amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.751
changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 5 1
changer_query: changer return was 5 1
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer_find: looking for Tape02 changer is searchable = 0
changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 file:/home/backups/amanda/tape02
amcheck: pid 26491 finish time Tue Jul  8 16:20:18 2003

Tcpdump is showing mplslx2.buffalowildwings.com trying to connect from some
port below 1024 to 10080 on udt.buffalowildwings.com, udt replies port
unreachable, I'm assuming because xinetd is not kicking off amanda.

I have to have overlooked, forgot or botched something. Any assistance or
suggestions of things to try will be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Josh