Amanda-Users

Re: human-readable tapelabels

2003-05-30 06:20:56
Subject: Re: human-readable tapelabels
From: Mathias Koerber <mathias AT koerber DOT org>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, Mathias Körber <mathias AT koerber DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:13:11 +0800

--On Friday, May 30, 2003 11:05:23 +0200 Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> wrote:

If the "tapelist" file is correct, it will not as for "a new tape".

This is my tapelist after I labeled all the tapes at the beginning

# amadmin Daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.

# cat tapelist
20030530 AdelphiDaily04 reuse
20030529 AdelphiDaily03 reuse
20030528 AdelphiDaily02 reuse
20030527 AdelphiDaily01 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily15 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily14 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily13 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily12 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily10 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily09 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily08 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily07 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily06 reuse
0 AdelphiDaily05 reuse

# amadmin Daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.

I was thinking that it would be nice if Amanda had a more flexible
way of labelling tapes (ie a mapping between internal rotation labels
and human readable ones).

I've never felt the need for such a thing.  (Contrary to many questions
with this setup I had in the beginning :-) )

I personally agree with all you say, but that does not mean it will
work for end-users..

Mathias Körber
mathias AT koerber DOT org