Amanda-Users

Re: add new clients, lost order scheduleing, tape isn't streaming

2003-05-30 05:29:43
Subject: Re: add new clients, lost order scheduleing, tape isn't streaming
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:27:10 +0200
Gene Heskett wrote:

Now the client is a bit slow, a 500mhz K6-III, so I expected the level 0's this would cause would take a while. This also brought my disklist entries up to 44. The string that controls the dumporder in amanda.conf:
dumporder "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
*should* cause the largest first, then descending order, and there are enough S's to cover all DLE's such that once the first dump is ready, the drive streams till its done.

They all start together, but which dump will be ready first you
think?  It's probably one of the smaller dumps!
I guess not all 44 dumpers will be active, because you probably have
other constraints (maxdumpers per host, per disk, bandwith etc,).

Taper starts taping as soon it receives the first file to tape, and
that's probably a smaller one.

Using less dumpers should work better.