Amanda-Users

Re: human-readable tapelabels

2003-05-29 10:36:08
Subject: Re: human-readable tapelabels
From: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:31:02 -0700
What I did was to write a wrapper script that takes two command line
The script runs the backup and then sends an email message telling
the recipients what tapes were just used,  any missing tapes
enountered and the next N tapes to load into the changer.  For
example:

Tape C83258 was not found in the changer.
Tape(s) used today
        C83176 in is slot 10

Next five tapes needed for backup
        Tape C83258 was not found in the changer.
        Tape C83177 is in slot 11.
        Tape C83178 is in slot 12.
        Tape C83179 is in slot 13.
        Tape C83180 was not found in the changer.
        Tape C83166 was not found in the changer.

or:

Tape(s) used today
        NT0029 in is slot 3

Next five tapes needed for backup
        Tape NT0030 is in slot 4.
        Tape NT0031 is in slot 5.
        Tape NT0032 is in slot 6.
        Tape NT0033 is in slot 7.
        Tape NT0034 is in slot 8.
        Tape NT0035 was not found in the changer.

I found this much easier than explaining to a tech, whose experience
is often limited to XP and Xbox, how tape cycles work and how to use
the amanda tools to determine the next tapes.

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
You have the right to remain helpless. Should you give up this right,