Amanda-Users

Re: add new clients, lost order scheduleing, tape isn't streaming

2003-05-30 09:54:41
Subject: Re: add new clients, lost order scheduleing, tape isn't streaming
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:51:34 -0400
On Friday 30 May 2003 05:27, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Now the client is a bit slow, a 500mhz K6-III, so I expected the
>> level 0's this would cause would take a while.  This also brought
>> my disklist entries up to 44.  The string that controls the
>> dumporder in amanda.conf:
>> dumporder "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
>> *should* cause the largest first, then descending order, and there
>> are enough S's to cover all DLE's such that once the first dump is
>> ready, the drive streams till its done.
>
>They all start together, but which dump will be ready first you
>think?  It's probably one of the smaller dumps!
>I guess not all 44 dumpers will be active, because you probably have
>other constraints (maxdumpers per host, per disk, bandwith etc,).

Miss-conception I think, 44 DLE's, but its the default 4 dumpers in
the amanda.conf (on the server).

>Taper starts taping as soon it receives the first file to tape, and
>that's probably a smaller one.

So basicly it had the 1 dumper running on the client, and 3 running on
itself, and they went thru the biggest 33 files on the server while
the 1st one on the client completed.   Mmm, the counts are correct,
but they didn't 100% start with the biggest ones on the server since
it had taped 650 megabytes of server stuff by then, but the server
still had at least 2 to do yet that were more than the 650 megs the
first 33 had totalled, each.

Thats what got my attention.

>Using less dumpers should work better.

Less than 4?
------from amanda.conf-----
inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel (max 63)
                        # this maximum can be increased at compile-time,
                        # modifying MAX_DUMPERS in server-src/driverio.h
[...]
dumporder "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" # specify the
priority order of each dumper
                        #   s -> smallest size
                        #   S -> biggest size
                        #   t -> smallest time
                        #   T -> biggest time
                        #   b -> smallest bandwitdh
                        #   B -> biggest bandwitdh
                        # try "BTBTBTBTBTBT" if you are not holding
                        # disk constrained
                        # BUT, if you want streaming, start with the big ones
and work down
-----------
Maybe I should change the first 5 or 6 to T's?  OTOH, if it starts
taping when the first one is done, Theres not a heck of a lot I can
do, that machine is overclocked as far as it will without effecting
the uptimes now.  If it held them in the holding disk to achieve the
specified order, it would have waited over 2:20 for the first,
actually the biggest, after "compress client best" compression.
According to amplot, the tape was running from about :45 to about
1:15, then was resting for about another 50 minutes before fireing up
and finishing the job at the 3:55 mark, certainly not as tape
wastefull as running without a holding disk would be.  And either way
the total runtime would be pretty much the same for the same set of
conditions.

Thanks Paul.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M