Amanda-Users

Re: What files does amanda need so that amrecover works?

2003-05-23 13:11:12
Subject: Re: What files does amanda need so that amrecover works?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Gerhard Gappmeier" <Gerhard.Gappmeier AT ascolab DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:07:20 -0400
On Friday 23 May 2003 11:12, Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I've seen that amrecover needs its index files, otherwise you only
> can use amrestore to restore your backups.
>What files else do I have to backup so that amrecover can work?
>Is there a mechanism or script which can backup all files needed
> after an amdump automatically (i.e. on streamer too with tar, via
> network, smb, .?)
>
>thanks,
>Gerhard.

I've setup a small /amanda dir, with a subdir /amanda/config-bak
within it to hold this data, and its both on the tape by being
included as a DLE, but that data is 1 run stale, so the two
attached scrips are the amdump wrapper, and the second one is a
util to add this data to the end of the tape.  I've reduced the
size by about 150 megs in the tapetype to try and make sure there
is room on the end of the tape for the freshly generated indices
and configs for this tapes run.  I've said I wasn't going to post
them because they weren't "purty", so feel free to make them
"purty".  They do housecleaning somewhat like amanda does, erasing
the old configs to tape # so-and-so each time they are
re-used-regenerated.  So one can fsf to the last 2 files on the
tape, recover those first with a couple of dd operations, move the
result to where it belongs and then run amrecover because the data
is all there, and is current as of this present tape.
If you run these from the /amanda dir, then any pretties you add
will also be preserved.  I hope they're usefull to you.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: