Amanda-Users

Re: New User to Amanda

2003-05-15 12:19:32
Subject: Re: New User to Amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Daniel Ervine <ervine7 AT comcast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 15 May 2003 at 12:14pm, Daniel Ervine wrote

> I'm looking to use Amanda in a mixed environment that includes windows
> workstations that are attached to a Linux server running Samba for file
> and print sharing.  I would like to setup Amanda to do the backups of
> the server and some workstation files.  Amanda is totally new to me so I
> have no clue in what is a good way to approach this and what types of
> problems might I run in to.  I would be most appreciative if someone
> could point me in the right direction of some good documented resources
> on how to setup Amanda.  I would also like some advice on what tape
> devices work best and would also like to know if ide tape devices are
> also supported by Amanda.  Thank you in advance for your advice and
> guidance.

Canonical starting points are The Chapter
<http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html> and docs/INSTALL.  When you run
into problems, there's the FAQ-O-Matic at
<http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html>.

As for tape devices, amanda just uses dump or tar to write to tape.
Device support is completely dependent upon your OS.  IDE devices tend to
be consumer level, and nothing I would use for stuff I considered
important.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering