Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck server timeout

2003-05-15 01:01:17
Subject: Re: amcheck server timeout
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Neil Klosterman <neil AT MPI-SoftTech DOT Com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:57:36 -0400
On Thu May 15 2003 00:14, Neil Klosterman wrote:
>I am trying to install on a RH 7.3 server with a Dell PowerVault
> 112T tape backup.  When I attempt to run amcheck I get the
> following message:
>
>[root@islandwx server-src]# amcheck Dell
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 503884 KB disk space available, that's
> plenty ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape Dell1
>       (expecting a new tape)

This is to be expected since amanda will not re-use a tape until
tapecycle (see your amanda.conf) tapes have been used.

>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>NOTE: info dir /usr/adm/amanda/Dell/curinfo: does not exist
>NOTE: it will be created on the next run
>NOTE: index dir /usr/adm/amanda/Dell/index: does not exist
>Server check took 5.051 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>Client check: 1 host checked in 29.993 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)
>
>I have read from the FAQ about a service that has to be running on
> the node, but I am unable to find this.  I try to run the amandad
> script, and that also times out after 30 seconds.  Any help will
> be much appreciated. Thank you.

Well, from this, I'm not sure which of two errors you have.  The
first would be an invalid .amandahosts file, and the second would
be related to xinetd being fed bad scripts.

Clip this and put it in your /etc/xinetd.d directory, modifying ONLY
the usernames and paths if these aren't correct for your system.
-------------------------------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}

You can also break this into the 3 files if you'd like, but xinetd
couldn't care less.

Also if you're not aware of it, there was a new xinetd made
available yesterday, version 2.3.11, fixes a security hole in the
DDOS category.  Run up2date, or drag it down with gftp from
updates.redhat.com.  They may have the freebie accounts disabled,
but gftp can get it just fine.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: