Amanda-Users

Re: amlabel problem with backup to disk config

2003-05-12 10:14:24
Subject: Re: amlabel problem with backup to disk config
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users Listserve <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:11:32 -0400
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:02:16PM +1000, shaun wrote:
> jon your a genius thankyou! seemed to work!

Now two of us realize it :)

> [amanda@william day-01]$ amlabel DailySet1 tape-01
> labeling tape in slot 1 (file:/home2/amandadumps/day-01):
> rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
> rewinding, writing label tape-01
> amlabel: writing label: short write
> [amanda@william day-01]$ amcheck -m DailySet1
>

> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> WARNING: holding disk /home2/holdingdisk: only 16 KB free (296960 KB
> requested)
> amcheck-server: slot 1: date X        label tape-01 (first labelstr match)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape tape-01 label ok
> NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
> NOTE: it will be created on the next run
> NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/william: does not exist
> Server check took 0.333 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: william: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.031 seconds, 1 problem found
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)
>

> two questions though if you have the time,
>
> what is meant by short write?

Not sure, I have not labelled tapes in a while.

When that message appears in dumps it generally means the
end of the tape was reached while writing.

> and
> WARNING: william: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>
> what should i make of this ?

I'm guessing you are doing this from "william".
That is generally a sign of a system really down, a network/DNS
problem or an amanda config problem.  Basically amanda called
out to william over the network to connect to william's "client"
software and william did not respond or responded negatively.

> oh one other thing..
>
> im assuming when operational amanda will rotate through slots (day
> directories ) according to chg-multi.conf and dump cycle etc
> is this true?

The basic answer is yes.  The details ...

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)