Amanda-Users

Recommended Hardware & Software Config

2003-05-06 11:06:37
Subject: Recommended Hardware & Software Config
From: PMGardner AT aircraftbraking DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:01:11 -0400
Hello, all.  I'm new to the group and the AMANDA softare but have
made the application my first choice alternative to an expensive,
enterprise
solution.  I will be backing up 66 UNIX hosts and have listed my
spec'ed hardware and software choices below along with some
questions.  I would appreciate any feedback or insight to these
items, or others for that matter, anyone might have.

Server HW - Dell PowerEdge 2600, 1.8GHz Xeon, 512MB RAM, 146GB 10k HD
Server SW - Redhat 8.0
Tape HW - Overland Data 810 (Single DLT8000 drive, 10 slot stacker)

- Should I better the HW in one area or another?  PSR?  HD?  RAM?
- We're primarily a Sun shop.  Should I go Solaris on SPARC vs.
Redhat on Intel?
- Is anyone using AMANDA with old Intergraph CLIX stations?  These
make up the bulk of my stations (90%) with 2GB to 4GB drives max.
Do I need a client for such an OS or can I do a NFS mount or the
likes?
- I will be backing up Solaris, HP-UX, and IRIX with anywhere from
4GB to 36GB drives.

I very much appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Paul Gardner