Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-23 23:32:32
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM" <MMARTINEZ AT intranet.reeusda DOT gov>, "'Scott Mcdermott'" <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:30:51 -0500
On Thu March 20 2003 12:01, Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM wrote:
>> So unsubscribe.
>
>Probably the "amanda" people would not appreciate that statement.

At risk of adding fuel to this current out of control wildfire, I'm
not an 'amanda' author if thats what you mean, but I am an 'amanda'
user, and I fully understand that this is a 100% volunteer effort.
No one can post to this list who is not subscribed unless it does
clear the list owners scrutiny.  I know, I've argued my way past
that a time or two while I was changing addresses and such.

AFAIK, the listserver is not an open relay, or it would find itself
on the various rbl listers pages very quickly.

This means that either the stuff is coming to you directly, which
this list cannot do one thing about, and that the address was
harvested from the lists archives which are as a matter of policy,
freely readable by the public.

I don't personally use spamassasin, so I get a rather large amount
of it if I haven't updated my filters recently, and its a tossup
right now as I catch up on a weeks absence and something over 1500
messages in the inbox, what my percentage of 'catching' it was.
I'm tired and would guess that more than 25% got by the filters I
use here with kmail on a linux box.

In short, if your network people cannot seem to grasp the concept of
a mail filter, beit spamassasin or whatever might be available for
your platform (& I also understand that you may not have any choice
there also), and they cannot accept the fact that some unwanted
spam IS going to find its way into your inbox, then your only
alternative is to unsubscribe, and then shut the machine down since
unsubscribing will not at this point in time effect the amount of
spam you get for several weeks, possibly much longer.

There is much good information here, information that can make your
job if its amanda related, go much more smoothly and effortlessly.

If TPTB insist that there is a zero incoming spam tolerance, and
would use forensic tools on the hard drive to enforce something
that neither of us has any great amount of power over other than
using the quite readily available filtering tools, then they are
IMNSHO, cutting off their nose because they don't like what the
mirror is showing them.  That will be their loss, and I for one
will not issue a single syllable in favor of closeing this lists
archives, or of instituting any other procedure that will prevent
the open and spontainious, occasionally even off-topic, discussions
that take place here.

In other words, AFAIAC you can either unsubscribe and sledgehammer
the hard drive, or you can install the freely available filters,
and in this case one of those over-write it a hundred times from
/dev/urandom, anything that shows up to be deleted thingies.  There
are, after all, secure delete tools available for nearly all intel
based systems, and for many of the m68k and ppc based systems...

>> > Also, you may find yourself with legal problems if you
>> > allow someone to post illegal material to your list.
>>
>> Oh please, what are you trying to threaten people because
>> you can't be bothered to filter your own email? Why don't we
>> just censor all information.  That way we'll all have more
>> freedom, right?
>
>I'm looking at it from the perspective that you can get sued if
> you don't take care to make reasonable precautions to protect the
> information that comes off your server from containing illegal
> content.
>
>> Moderated lists create an undue burden on these people that
>> are just volunteers, and slow down the discussions.
>
>Every other list I subscribe to is moderated.

Thats your problem.  One thing you wouldn't see on such a list is a
free discussion of this problem such as you are seeing here and
now.  Go read our Bill of Rights, particularly the first 2.  It can
be Very Educational...

Tell ya what, if this list is so important to you, why don't you
setup a subserver thats subscribed to this list, and delegate about
5 or 6 full time folks to moderate whats allowed thru it to you as
a subscriber to this 'relay' server.

What, you don't have the resources to do that?  Neither do we, and
thats not about to change unless some corporate sponser comes up
with about $150k/annum to fund it.  That kind of money usually
comes with strings, and I for one ain't no d****d puppet...

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M