Amanda-Users

Windows "string overflow" logfile issues

2003-03-20 11:06:04
Subject: Windows "string overflow" logfile issues
From: Dave Ewall <dave AT notss DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 20 Mar 2003 09:26:26 -0500
Hey there people...

I hope this isn't too off topic, as it's related to Samba, but only
while using Amanda, as far as I can tell.

I was wondering if anybody else has had these types of issues while
backing up Windows machines via samba (hopefully I'm not the only person
trying to do something so silly)...

Every morning I get the Amanda Mail Report that is >3 Megs long, filled
mostly with these types of errors (although all other errors are within
normal parameters):

/-- localhost  //mulder/c$ lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [localhost://mulder/c$ level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
sendbackup: info end
| added interface ip=192.168.100.10 bcast=192.168.100.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
? ERROR: string overflow by 5 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application ]
? ERROR: string overflow by 22 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application ]
? ERROR: string overflow by 91 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application ]
? ERROR: string overflow by 32 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application ]
? ERROR: string overflow by 22 in safe_strcpy [\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application ]

[...a lot more of the same...]

| tar: dumped 20796 files and directories
| Total bytes written: 2097137152
sendbackup: size 2047986
sendbackup: end
\--------

For some background information, I'm running this on Debian Sid (because
the machine has to support passing authentication to a Win2k Domain
Controller).  The version of Amanda is 2.4.3-1, Samba is
2.999+3.0.alpha21-5 (which works well in all other capacities, such as
authentication and file sharing, etc).

I'm backing up 7 unix machines (none that have these errors in the log),
as well as 11 windows machines onto the tape.  Interestingly enough, I'm
backing up one unix machine over SMB rather than over the amanda client,
and it doesn't show these problems in the log like the windows ones do.

I googled the heck of this problem (as well as checked samba and amanda
lists), and found absolutely nothing that seems to be of relevence,
aside from these errors showing up in other parts of Samba code.

Oh, and the files CAN be restored successfully, so they are being backed
up.

Any ideas of what it is or where to start?

Thanks in advance...
-Dave