Amanda-Users

Re: Who uses amanda?

2003-03-13 10:23:16
Subject: Re: Who uses amanda?
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <davek AT medphys.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:47:33 +0100
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:59:45AM +0000, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> b) Have no intention of using it myself for my home computer, but wonder
> if its a variable option in a university department (~100 staff).

Well Amanda has several disadvantages:

- poor support for non Unix-like Operating systems
- Cannot backup filesystems/directories larger then tape drive.
- no builtin support for database backup

Please check if those disadvantages are a problem for you.
If they are not, go ahead and use Amanda.

I have been running it for seven years (for several small companies)
and never had a failure and i know for sure i can do disaster
recovery with just a pile of tapes.

Before buying a commercial backup software, try a disaster
recovery from just a pile of tapes.

  Ciao
     Dietmar

--
Dietmar Goldbeck, Senior Consultant, <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
Neteligent GmbH, http://www.neteligent.de/