Amanda-Users

Re: Installation Problem

2003-03-11 11:47:53
Subject: Re: Installation Problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "T. Bhaskar Reddy" <bhaskar AT nmsworks.co DOT in>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:27:28 -0500
On Tue March 11 2003 03:03, T. Bhaskar Reddy wrote:
>Hi,
> I am facing a problem , when trying to install amanda2.4.4. The
> first step of installation procedure(i,e running ./configure
> )itself is giving problem. When i run the ./configure i am
> getting the following output. Further it is not creating any
> Makefile.
>
>checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>checking for gawk... gawk
>checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
>configure: error: *** --with-user=USER is missing
>
>If any one have idea about please help me in solving this
> problem....

As is stated in the docs, one must have a user and group that amanda
can be run as.  The usual method is to add a user named amanda to
the systems users and then make 'amanda' a member off group 'disk'
so that amanda has the proper rights.

>System configuration details:
>
>OS RedHat 7.2
>Kernel 2.4.7-10

You may have to install a later kernel, ISTR there have been some
fairly major improvements in the sg device driver in particular.
The compiler itself has also been updated considerably since 7.2,
and its possible the newer kernels won't build on the older
compiler, which was getting quite long in the tooth.  RH8.0 works
fairly well, and if you rip out the butchered KDE that comes with
it and install the real kde-3.1 from sources, its downright purty
in addition to usefull.  I'm currently running kernel 2.4.21-pre5
here on a rh8.0 system with the real kde3.1.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M