Amanda-Users

Problem: Failed backups overwrite good backups

2003-03-11 10:46:44
Subject: Problem: Failed backups overwrite good backups
From: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org (amanda backup)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:15:10 -0500 (EST)

 I am using Amanda 2.4.3b3 on a Linux RH 7.2 box to dump several
 windows clients to disk. I discovered a problem yesterday with my
 process. I run all of the backup jobs from a script. Each backup is a
 full backup. When one job completes, the next job runs. This all works
 correctly if the backup server is able to access the machine. If it is
 not able to connect to the machine, prehaps the machine is off, the
 existing backup files are overwritten. Does anyone know of a way to
 prevent this from happening? If it fails, I want it to leave the
 existing backup files.

 The dumpcycles are set to 0 and the number of tapes is 1. I am just
 getting the system going, and I did not have a good feel for how much
 drive space was going to be consummed by the backups.

 If any one cares, this is how the system works.

 I created a couple of web pages to allow the user
 to add their machines to the backup list. The web pages are restricted
 via ip address. The user is informed that this is experimental and
 that they should also backup their data to zip disk or cd. The user is
 also instructed to contact the support person to make changes to the
 computers to allow the backups to happen. We only backup "My
 Documents" and Eudora. The users enters some basic information into a
 form and some information like IP address is collected behind the
 scenes. The data from the form is added to a mysql
 database. Initially, my plan was to have the users submit a date and
 time to run the backup. The users did not like this idea. I guess too
 much work for them. Good thing I guess, as I read some time there
 after that I could not run concurrent amdump jobs.

 I wrote a "C" program to construct everything else. Before doing this,
 I had to construct some template files for amanda.conf, changer.conf,
 and the disklist. I use sed to create the useable files. Anyways, the
 program checks for any new additions to the list. I have 2 servers to
 backup 80 machines in 5 different buildings. Each server runs the
 program and only looks for certain subnets. If a new machine has been
 added, it creates all of the directories, files, and tapes. Next the program
 looks through the list for its machines and creates a shell script to
 perform the backups and uses "at" to schedule the script. As I said
 this al works fine. The only problems I have run into have been with
 ZoneAlarm and the users PC not being set up correctly.

 Thanks
 Jonathan Swaby