Amanda-Users

Re: Problem: Failed backups overwrite good backups

2003-03-11 17:17:56
Subject: Re: Problem: Failed backups overwrite good backups
From: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
To: martinea AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA (Jean-Louis Martineau)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:51:32 -0500 (EST)

> > > Which files are overwritten?
> > > Is it the files in holding disk? that's normal if you run more than
> > > one amdump by day for the same disk.
> > Essentially it is overwritting the tape. In my case the tape is a
> > directory on disk. I assumed it would only do this if it had data to
> > write, but that does not appear to be the case.
>
> It's a tape, it is overwritten at every run, that's the way it works,
> that's the way it should works (like a tape).
I thought that it would erase the file only if it had something to
write. It seems that it erases then checks to see if there is
something to write.

In any event my problem is solve I think. I wrote a small "C" program
that takes its input from amcheck. If it sees the word ERROR or
WARNING, it will return a value of 10. If amcheck works, it will
return a value of 0. So, my script looks like this:

su -c "amcheck amachine1 | backup_test" operator && su -c "amdump
machine1" operator

If backup_test returns a "0", it will do the dump.

Thanks
Jonathan Swaby