Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-10 22:33:30
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Marty Shannon, RHCE" <mshannon AT domovina DOT org>, Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:58:21 -0500
On Mon March 10 2003 14:49, Marty Shannon, RHCE wrote:
>Eric Sproul wrote:
>> Also, my system is Linux, so there
>> are no compression-related device names.
>
>Actually, all Linux Amanda users should read and understand (and
> implement) the stinit man page.  Once you've built a proper
> "/etc/stinit.def" for your drive(s), and make the proper device
> nodes, you should never have any issues with compression again.

While I agree wholeheartedly Marty, all advice of this nature should
be surrounded by qualifiers.

In this case the file doesn't exist on this RH8.0 system.  And while
there is a manpage, attempting to setup the .def file without
access to info that is authoritative *about that drive*, rapidly
becomes an exersize in futility.  Access to such info can be had,
this is generally true for the major labels, but when the manual
that might explain it in sufficient detail as to allow the
intelligent  construction of that stinit.def file costs $85, I do
not consider it worth the effort and $$.  That BTW was the quoted
price for service manual on my 4586np, obtained by a phone call to
Okla. City.

So in this case the qualifier is possession of enough info.  Other
than word of mouth on this list, many drives are nothing but black
boxes, with many good features never used because no one knows
about them.

Thats what this list is all about, enhancing the possibility of
someone else having first hand experience with the particular black
box the poster has, and that someone else has known and lived with
enough to help the latecomer.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M