Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-10 17:00:56
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: "Marty Shannon, RHCE" <mshannon AT domovina DOT org>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 15:33:21 -0500
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 14:49, Marty Shannon, RHCE wrote:
> Eric Sproul wrote:
> > Also, my system is Linux, so there
> > are no compression-related device names.
>
> Actually, all Linux Amanda users should read and understand (and implement)
> the
> stinit man page.  Once you've built a proper "/etc/stinit.def" for your
> drive(s), and make the proper device nodes, you should never have any issues
> with compression again.

Marty,
Sounds like a great plan.  I got the Debian 'mt-st' package, replacing
the GNU mt that comes with the cpio package.  I checked out the example
definition file, and I have a question not answered in the man page.

Must I define all modes even if I only ever want to use one?  I plan to
always use blocksize=0 and compression=0, so should I just define
'mode1'?

Thanks,
Eric