Amanda-Users

Re: Win32 Backup?

2003-03-05 17:48:08
Subject: Re: Win32 Backup?
From: philo vivero <phiviv AT hacklab DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 05 Mar 2003 13:07:12 -0800
> > I've used Amanda before in a Unix-only shop, but now am interested in
> > backing up Win32 clients.
> >
> > I see Amanda.Org still seems to hold the official line of "use smbclient
> > to backup Win32 clients," but there's a port of Amanda client to Win32
> > at http://sourceforge.net/projects/amanda-win32 which appears to have
> > about 5-15 downloads daily for the last week or two.
>
> I can't tell you much, but I can tell that the official 2.4.4 version
> supports the cygwin environment.  There have been a number of messages on
> this recently -- search the archives.

Okay, I searched the archives. There is some conjecture that the Win32
client is not too recent, but there doesn't seem to be anything
concrete.

Someone else said the 'sbmclient' method gives problems when the user
setup to do the backups on the Win32 client don't have permissions to
back up the machine.

Cygwin method requires first installing Cygwin on every client, right?
smbclient method requires only creating a user on every client. So
unless every Win32 client has Cygwin installed... would it be safe to
say that The One Right Way to do Win32 backups is:

 - Setup a local administrator on the client (say, "amanda")
 - Use smbclient at the server to backup
 - Don't use the Win32 client at SourceForge (it's out-of-date)

?

--
pv