Amanda-Users

Re: EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file [..]

2003-03-03 17:50:05
Subject: Re: EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file [..]
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: oddrune AT flink DOT no
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:54:40 -0800
I just got a similar problem to what Odd Rune Dahle described, with a slightly different message.

In the amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file, almost everything went fine until:

amrestore: error reading file header: Is a directory
amidxtaped: time 0.004: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
amidxtaped: time 0.004: rewinding tape ...
amidxtaped: time 30.102: tape_rewind tape: /home/amanda/testSet1: Inappropriate ioctl for device
amidxtaped: time 30.102: pid 25439 finish blah blah blah

1. The "Inappropriate..." must be because I use tapeless back up on a second hard drive.

2. Is amrestore capable of restoring a whole directory tree???
And what goes wrong here?

Thanks,

Odd Rune Dahle wrote:
Joshua Baker-LePain:

EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file on ns1.

And did you do this?  What's in that file?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that this file doesn't exist.

First off, what user you running that command as? If it's not root or amanda, then it's not going to pick up /tmp/amanda (where the debug files live), b/c /tmp/amanda has 700 permissions.

It was as root. But now that you mention /tmp/amanda, I checked there.
amrestore refer to amidxtaped.debug, but the file is named
amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug.. no wonder the locate command didn't
find it :-)

Things made a bit more sense once I found the debug-file:

amrestore: could not open /dev/tape: Permission denied
amidxtaped: time 0.003: amrestore terminated normally with status: 2
amidxtaped: time 0.003: rewinding tape ...
amidxtaped: time 0.003: tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/tape: Permission denied
amidxtaped: time 0.003: pid 10103 finish time Fri Feb 28 07:19:30 2003

My xinetd-setup specified the wrong group for amidxtaped (bin), when I
use 'disk' as owner of the tape-device.  Unfortunately there are
nobody on-site until monday morning, but we'll run a new test then. Thanks for the help :-)