Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU: DDS4backup AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE]

2003-03-03 18:31:56
Subject: Re: [amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU: DDS4backup AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE]
From: Michael Robbert <mrobbert AT mines DOT edu>
To: Jon LaBadie <jcyg AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:31:32 -0700
On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:41:40AM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> It can take a very short time to read 32KB, that is all that is done.
>
> Does your tapelist file show all the tapes you labeled?
>
> Can you manually do manipulate the changer, load each slot in turn
> and run  "amtape <config> current".  This should show what is really
> in each slot.
I can manipulate the changer with amtape and mtx just fine, but when I
run "amtape <config> current" it always shows the information from the
last tape that was labeled, even if I completely eject the magazine,
power everything off and put in a brand new tape when everything is back
up. I have even tested this using dd instead of amtape, so at this point
I know that it is not an AMANDA problem at all.

> Assuming there is the correct tape in each slot I'd then guess something
> in the changer hardware/software (likely the latter) is reporting that
> the changer is changing but not actually doing the job properly.  Though
> you say you do see the mechanism working, maybe something in the changer
> status files is not being updated.
Any ideas on debugging the hardware/software to find out which one is
the problem. This drive/changer worked fine in another machine running
off an older Adaptec card and it is now running off an Adaptec AIC7899
that came with my Dell tape changer. Both drives are running off the
same card, different channels. Right now I am thinking that the drive is
returned cached information when you try to pull data from it and my
boss has suggested that the driver isn't sending a close() system call
to the device and that may be a reason for retrieving the wrong info.

--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS