Amanda-Users

Quantum SDLT 320 tape drive.

2003-01-30 17:36:04
Subject: Quantum SDLT 320 tape drive.
From: <lone_wolf_20 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:52:11 -0800 (PST)
Hello.  I've used Amanda in the past, and I'm going to
migrate my current backup system to Amanda.  My
questions are really about Quantum SDLT tapes and
Amanda configuration.

I've got about 220 or so GB which need weekly full
dumps performed, and nightly incremental.  I am
planning on using a Quantum SDLT 320 tape drive in
conjunction w/ a large hard disk (approx 200 GB).  The
HD will serve as storage for the incremental runs in
this case.  Our current setup is a single DSS-4 tape,
which was fine about a year ago, but the drive space
has grown rapidly while the backup capacity hasn't. My
questions are as follows:

1) Is there a way to specify incremental runs to dump
to the holding disk as opposed to the tape within the
config files?  I could just not change the tape until
the weekly full dump is scheduled and turn on the
auto-flush, but I'm not sure if this is the best way
to do things.  Running Amanda with a large tape size
means consolidating incremental dumps to be flushed at
the time of the full run, otherwise I waste a huge
amount of tape space.

2) Has anyone used the SDLT 320 drives w/ Amanda?  I
searched the group archives and didn't get much from
them on these drives, same with the FAQ (tape-info
would be nice for these drives).

3) I am planning on using a Linux box (running RedHat
8.0) with sufficient power to do software compression.
 I?m wondering if this configuration makes sense for
the size / time restrictions on the running of full
and incremental backups.  Just bouncing the idea off
of the group to see if there's any issues involved
with this setup.

Thanks for your time.