Amanda-Users

Weekly archive, RAIT ?

2003-01-30 15:05:59
Subject: Weekly archive, RAIT ?
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT csserv.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:08:10 -0500 (EST)
Givens: Solaris 8, StorEdge 9 (HP C7145) jukebox - with LTO drive
Amanda 2.4.2p2.

We are considering running, well, have already configured, two
separate amanda servers, one to access jukebox A and service
the single amanda-client which resides on the amanda-server
machine and a second amands-server to service amands-clients
that are _not_ on the amanda-server machine.

We are considering leaving most of the tapes in the jukeboxes
alone week to week. Providing ready access to one week's data.

We are thinking of using the remaining slots in the jukebox
for weekly archive tapes.

I couldn't think of a good way to mechanistically implement
this until I realized that I could have a 3rd amanda-server.

This would run on the weekend when the other 2 amanda-servers
where quiesent. It would back up the combined disklists of
the 1st 2 servers but to an alternate tape pool. Ideally I
could install amanda 2.4.3 and have 2 tapes in each jukebox,
4 tapes in all, to write the output to.

Am I making any sense ? I'd thought someone said last week that
I couldn't walk by amanda run from one jukebox to the other.

Anyone have any ideas ? It just seems potentially inefficient
to break my partitions arbitrarilly across two different configs.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org