Amanda-Users

Re: Quantum SDLT 320 tape drive.

2003-01-31 10:34:50
Subject: Re: Quantum SDLT 320 tape drive.
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: <lone_wolf_20 AT yahoo DOT com>, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs AT math.uh DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:49:46 -0500
On Friday 31 January 2003 09:14, lone_wolf_20 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
>Thanks for the responses.  If I can get my boss to buy
>off on the rig, I'll post the tapeinfo results for the
>drive.
>
>Thanks for the heads up about the compression as well.
> I saw this in one of the other posts to the group
>during the search for info on the drive.  I'll have
>the compression off on the hardware prior to doing any
>labeling / tapeinfo runs which should prevent the
>erratic behavior.

The idea was that if *that* tape had ever been used in the
compressed mode, somethng along the lines of what I described will
be required to fix it.  If amanda runs the robot, the tape
recognition stuff will function from within amdump, and you will
not have a chance to fix it with an mt command then.

For brand new tapes, I'd expect that to be moot.  YMMV of course.