Amanda-Users

Re: speed of amdump

2003-01-24 05:47:53
Subject: Re: speed of amdump
From: dalton <dalton AT utanet DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:13:16 +0100
Lars Segerlund schrieb:

 have you checked the options for parrallell dumpers ?
Yes i have 4.

You should be able to have multiple connections to clients, and your time seem's looong !
We have just one client (the file server) and the backup server.

And the interface-values and bandwith-values are ok?

At client site also an amanda-config section?

thx, dalton

Basicly as long as you have the bandwidth you should be able to get down close to the backup time for the simgle slowest client.

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.

dalton wrote:

Hi,

the speed of our hp surestore seems to be ok, but the amdump takes too much time (6 hours for 23 GB, we want to use now client fast compression).

So we have a suspicion (someone just has installed it, but this person is not here any more :-(:

In amanda.conf:
netusage 600 Kbps # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec
But we have a 100mbit LAN, so there should be 10240 kbps, thats right? Or what is the meaning of this entry? Which values do you have?

In /etc/amanda/interfaces:
define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 1000 kbps
}

define interface eth0 {
    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
    use 10240 kbps
}

For a local disk just 1000 kbps? Too less?
Should be much more, that's right?
Which values do you have?

One more question:
We have a backup server where amanda runs, and a file server.
amanda gets the files from the file server (by clients best compression, now we want to use client fast). Have to be an /etc/amanda/... - directory also on the client site (in our case the file server?)
There is one, but we are not sure, if the client needs it.

Thank you for your help,
best regards
Dalton