Amanda-Users

Re: Make amanda unload tape drive?

2003-01-22 14:53:32
Subject: Re: Make amanda unload tape drive?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: simon-amanda-users AT blackstar.co DOT uk, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:16:52 -0500
On Wednesday 22 January 2003 13:19, Simon Young wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:04:33PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >If you follow amdump with an amtape eject command, will you not
>> > be ejecting the tape in the 'current' slot?
>>
>> Thats how it would work here at any rate. Amanda does not change
>> her notion of "slot" until the next invocation of amdump or
>> amcheck, both of which apparently start out by searching for the
>> next reusable tape.
>
>Ah! That explains it then :-)
>
>> I'd assume in those robots where it has an internal storage of
>> 12 or more tapes, that an eject would mean it will bring that
>> tape to the door for you to remove, in which case you would need
>> to tell it which tape slot to give you the contents of. This
>> would not be the same as ejecting a tape from a drive, which in
>> larger libraries, there may be 2 or more of. I keep refering to
>> 'magazine' because thats the 'style' mine is built as, which of
>> course will not apply to all cases.
>
>It's ok. I'm only using a pseudo-changer (i.e. three external scsi
> DLT drives all connected to the same box), so I would have
> thought it would be a common request, in this situation, to have
> amanda eject the tapes it has just used.

I see now. Consult the changer script you are using, it may be
possible for it to eject the tape once amanda is done with it,
possibly by a modifcation to the script.  I've never tried that
multiple drive scenario, so anything I say would be a wild guess.

>I'd just like to make the job of changing the tapes as easy as
> possible for the guy who ends up doing it, ya see.

Uh-huh, you no doubt :)

>> Not trying to confuse, my apologies if it does.
>
>Not confusing. Interesting :-)

Thanks

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M