Amanda-Users

Amanda with TL890 tape library on RedHat Linux 8.0

2003-01-17 06:29:15
Subject: Amanda with TL890 tape library on RedHat Linux 8.0
From: Leonid Mamtchenkov <f.l.amanda-users AT news.francoudi DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:47:13 +0000 (UTC)
Dear All,

I'd like to ask if anyone managed to configure amanda to work with TL890
(specifically TL892) tape library on RedHat Linux 8.0.  I have tried to
use both chg-scsi and chg-multi, but failed with both.

chg-scsi did better though.  I could load a tape from any slot to a tape
drive, label it and perform the backup.  But I could not move the tape
back to the slot and/or load another tape.  amtape kept telling me that
the tape was ejected from the DLT drive, but LED display on the library
indicated that the tape was still in.

chg-multi gave me even more problems.  It locks the SCSI devices and
amanda operations (as well any other software operating with SCSI) hangs.
According to LED display on the library there is no activity
what-so-ever.

Round-up of what I am using:
Hardware:
        Compaq Proliant DL360 w/ PIII/800MHz x 2
        SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly NCR) 53c875
        Compaq StorageWorx TL892 10-slot tape library w/
        Compaq StorageWorx DLT7000 tape drive x 2 attached
Software:
        RedHat Linux 8.0 with all updates (including kernel: 2.4.18-19.8.0)
        amanda-2.4.2p2-9
        mt-st-0.7-6

        Jan 17 12:09:14 backupsrv kernel: sym53c875-1-<5,*>: FAST-10 WIDE SCSI
        20.0 MB/s (100.0 ns, offset 15)
        Jan 17 12:09:17 backupsrv last message repeated 3 times

If any other information is needed, please let me know.

Any ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.

--
Best regards,
  Leonid Mamtchenkov, RHCE