Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with labelstr

2003-01-16 19:03:08
Subject: Re: Problems with labelstr
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: <dan AT conpoint DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:24:19 -0500
On Thursday 16 January 2003 12:09, Dan Spray wrote:

Please don't post html messages to this list, we expect plain old
ascii text so we have a choice in the displayed font size, this is
truely tiny and hard to read.

>Thanks to all who helped with this problem.  I assumed that it was
>something along those lines, I guess I need to understand regular
>expressions better.
>
>Now I am getting another error, I pasted it below if anyone knows
> what needs done differently.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dan
>
>[root@ZEUS config]# su amanda -c "amlabel config Daily-Wed"
>rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
>rewinding, writing label Daily-Wed, checking labelamlabel:
> couldn't write tapelist: Permission denied

This also is exactly what it says.  I'd suspect that you either used
an rpm install, or that you didn't follow the basic install
procedures with regard to who you were when you built it and then
installed it.

Basicly you need a user named "amanda" and this use should be a
member of the group "disk", or possibly "operator", as you need a
group name which has essentially root priviledges to link amanda to
in the user:group.

To list the build procedure once again (and it helps if you just go
ahead and build it in the /home/amanda directory because then as
the user amanda, the perms are already set)

Become the user "amanda" once the user and group is defined for
amanda.

1)unpack the tarball in the amanda home directory
2)cd to the freshly unpacked directory
3)#> ./configure [-option -option etc etc]
4)make
5)exit back to root
6)cd to the directory again since the exit will likely back you out
7)make install
8)su amanda
9)grab a file manager and make sure the stuff got installed where
you told it to in the ./configure step.
10) grab an editor and adjust amanda.conf in the
/prefix/etc/amanda/configname directory to do what you want amanda
to do.

As you work, run, as the user amanda, the amcheck utility, which
will check the system for errors in setup and what have you, fixing
each thing that amcheck actually calls an ERROR.

WARNING's and NOTE's can usualy be safely ignored as amanda will
create those files and directories as amanda needs them.

When amcheck runs without reporting any ERROR's, then you should be
ready to make a test run of amdump.  While user amanda, follow the
setup directions in the doc dir to make a crontab entry for the
user amanda that runs amdump.

Keep in mind that while amanda can be run from the cli (as the user
amanda, root will report the error of being root and exit for some
of its functions), amanda really isn't meant to be run
interactively, once properly configured, amanda does it all by
herself whenever cron runs it..

Also, from the name you wrote to the tape label, its apparent that
you are thinking in terms of a tape labeled Wednesday.  This is
somewhat erronious thinking because amanda will use the next tape
in the sequence when its due to be used, and doesn't care what day
of the week it might be.

Amanda also cannot append to an already written to tape in a second
session.

The important items in the amanda.conf are:

dumpcycle: set to the number of days that you will allow amanda to
schedule a full backup of everything you are backing up.  Amanda
will then do at least 1 level 0 on each entry in the disklist
within that time frame. You may also say 1 week too.  Amanda will
adjust the schedule of each entry in the disklist in an attempt to
equalize the amount of tape used each night based on these entries,
and it will take amanda a couple of 'runspercycle' runs to get that
fine tuned.  When setting up a larger system that will all fit on
runspercycle number of tapes, it helps to add the entries to the
disklist in approximately one tape size batches, one batch per each
new daily run until you have thewait for writing:   0         0k
0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
wait to flush   :  29    136540k    136540k (100.00%) (  0.00%)
writing to tape :   1     87080k     87080k (100.00%) (  0.00%)
failed to tape  :   0         0k         0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
taped           :  78  11613920k  11613920k (100.00%) ( 98.11%)
m all listed.

runtapes:  if you have a changer or a library, you can set this to
more than one tape per session if your data size vs the tape
capacity of your drive requires it.

runspercycle: this is how many times it will actually be run in the
above 'dumpcycle' period. Some folks might run it only mon-fri.

tapecycle: this is the number of tapes in the tape pool, and a
working minimum is 2 'runspercycle' tapes so you aren't faced with
the possibility that you are overwriting your last full of a given
disklist entry until you have another full on hand on a newer
written tape.  I'm rather paranoid, so I have 28 tapes in the
tapecycle (I had the tape), and dumpcycle is 5 days, so I have
several fulls on hand at any one time.

Special note regarding disklist entries.  No single entry can exceed
the size of one tape because if it fails at the end of the tape,
that write is considered a total failure, and that entry will then
be written to the next tape from its beginning byte.  In other
words, 'chunksize' has nothing to do with it other than protecting
amanda from 2gig filesize limits on some systems.

This should get you started, but don't be afraid to some back and
ask new questions anytime you have them.  And when you get to the
point where you can help other newbies, because you've been there
and done that, please do so.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M